Media

Luxembourg Airport secures Level 4+ Transition as part of their journey to net zero CO2 by 2030

May 30, 2024

We are delighted to announce that Luxembourg Airport has successfully upgraded to Level 4+ Transition of Airport Carbon Accreditation.

Luxembourg Airport joined the programme in 2019 at Level 1 Mapping and continued on its path to more advanced levels of carbon management maturity. In 2022, the airport advanced to pole position officially committing to reach Net Zero carbon emissions by 2030, as part of the European airport industry’s pledge spearheaded by ACI EUROPE.

In order to secure the successful upgrade to Level 4+, Luxembourg Airport has set an absolute emissions reduction target that includes all Scope 1 and 2 emissions as a minimum. In addition, the airport has developed a Carbon Management Plan fully aligned with the Paris Agreement, and has established a Stakeholder Partnership Plan enhancing collaboration across all airport stakeholders to drive collective efforts in reducing emissions, encompassing Scope 3.

Significant achievements include a 50% reduction in heating consumption and a 40% reduction in cooling for the main terminal between 2022 and 2023. Impressively, Luxembourg Airport achieved a 69% reduction in its absolute carbon emissions in 2023, compared to the reference year of 2018. This reduction occurred sooner than initially slated in its roadmap to achieve Net Zero by 2030.

In its latest ground handling stakeholder contract, Luxembourg Airport has set clear environmental targets for 2028. It mandates that 80% of Ground Support Equipment (GSE) be powered by electricity, hydrogen, or other emissions-free technologies, while the remaining 20% may use combustion engines if they operate on fossil-free fuels. Furthermore, the airport’s vehicle fleet now comprises 30% electric and 20% hybrid vehicles, with a firm policy against purchasing new vehicles that use conventional fuels.

LUX is also one of the leaders supporting the use of Sustainable Aviation Fuels (SAF) at its premises and has invested in the Norsk e-Fuel project to boost SAF production. This commitment was marked by a milestone on 14th June 2023, when the first flight fueled by SAF took off from Luxembourg Airport.

Discover more about sustainability initiatives at Luxembourg Airport here.